Powered By Blogger

Saturday, June 27, 2009

Identity

Who are you? That is a question that a lot of people have a tough time answering. It's been coming up a lot in my time with God lately, so I figured I would share some insights.

Myself and a few friends are memorizing Romans 8 this summer, so I have been reading over it quite a bit. Verse 14 (don't worry if you are memorizing with me, I haven't memorized this far yet) says that if we are led by the Spirit of God that we are sons of God! I read that and I'm like WHOA! Because when I think Son of God, I think Jesus, and to put myself on that level is kinda tough, but then I have to stop and realize that I'm not on Jesus' level on my own accord, but because He put me there and that His Spirit is why I am considered a son of God in God's eyes. Paul then goes on to say that we have not received a spirit of slavery to fall back into fear, but a Spirit of adoption as sons...here we go again, God is really driving the point home here that we are His family. Then down in verse 19 we are told that the creation itself longs eagerly for the revealing of the sons of God! When I read this I get really excited and something deep down inside me starts screaming like William Wallace before battle!

I get this picture of who God has created me to be, He has created a son, He has created a brother, He has created a man, and He has created a warrior. Looking at this person that God has created I get fired up, I want to live up to these things, I want to love Him as a son loves his father, I want to be a brother to those around me, I want to be what a man was meant to be, and I want to be a warrior for my King! Guys, when God created you, He created the same things! Spend some time asking Him how He wants these to be a part of your life. Ladies, obviously these things will be a little bit different for you, but God has a specific purpose for who He created when He created you too, so please do the same thing, spend some time asking God who you are in Him and what that means for your life. He promises us that He will bring the work that He has begun in us to completion. (Philippians 1:6)

2 comments:

  1. I can tell you've read Wild at Heart and finished it! Those were my thoughts in May!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've been rereading some of Captivating this summer. I love how those books really help us understand our making. I'm excited about the work He has begun in you and our friends.

    P.S. This reminded me I really need to get onto memorized Romans 8...so behind!

    ReplyDelete