Powered By Blogger

Saturday, July 5, 2008

If Your Time Ain't Been Nothing But Money

One of my new favorite songs by Switchfoot is "American Dream", one of the lines in the song says "if your time ain't been nothing but money, I'm starting to feel pretty bad for you honey!" Being that I am a business major, I meet a lot of people who have this kind of mindset. It really disturbs me that people can see their lives as meaningless aside from the fact that they will have a massive salary when they graduate and get a good job. Don't get me wrong, I don't think that there is anything wrong with making money or having a career where you make a lot of money. I have a problem when people determine their personal worth by the number that will be associated with their starting salary or their bank account. I understand that a lot of great things for God's kingdom are accomplished because there are people with money to finance activities that bring glory to the Father and reach people who do not know God. I just hope and pray that I will maintain these convictions as I progress in my career and that I would inspire others who will have a lot of wealth in this world to share that with others in the name of Jesus. I want my life to be more about the relationships that I will build with people and the ways that I will serve God's kingdom rather than how much money I will make or the kind of benefits that I will have. I would rather be concerned with pleasing God and remembering what Mark 8:36 says.

Mark 8:36
"What good is it for a man to gain the whole world, yet forfeit his soul?"

3 comments:

  1. Wow...that is so true Josh! I have to focus on this mindset transiting from going for a degree that guaranteed a mighty fine starting salary to one that might not even have one. I have to have complete faith and trust in God and that He will provide. Also I have to stick to His plan for my life. Great stuff!

    ReplyDelete
  2. People ask me all the time why I want to be a teacher...it's not about the money...it's about touching the lives. It's about doing what God called me to do. Yes I'm going to strive for my Phd but..that's not my goal. My goal is to change lives and have God mold me to be the woman He's created me to be...not make money like the rest of the world expects.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Exactly y'all, I'm glad that you both are not being distracted by dollar signs or the other stuff that the world thinks is important! God does incredible things with people that are sold out for Him and not consumed with the things that our culture says that you should care about.

    ReplyDelete